Thursday, March 17, 2011

So many presentations, and never enough time...

...and the weather of New Orleans is incredible. We spent the afternoon out for a trolley ride, but I'm back at the TESOL conference for a great presentation. I have so many things I'd like to learn about technology now that the iPads and iPod touches have arrived in my classroom.

I should have videotaped the roll out of the iPads. I had a specific plan for them, but I can't remember what the plan was now. I just remember the excitement. And the fact that I told the kids before I handed them out where the magical black button is on the iPad that makes all things go, but some were sp excited that they didn't listen. The despondency over not being able to figure out how to make it "go" immediately was amazingly sweet. And then I gave them about 10 minutes just to play with the apps that I had loaded onto the machines. Amazing excitement.

This week, we got out the iPod touches. The cool part? They have two cameras on them. It's a whole new world for the kids. They took their cameras home for two days this week to get pictures for a project we would be doing at the end of the week, and one student took 293 pictures and a couple of great videos in two days time. I can't imagine what kind of language this is going to generate.

While I'm in TESOL, the kids are making movies of their lives using the photos they took at home. I can't wait to see what they have come up with.

Reporting in from TESOL. More tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Defining Leadership...on the Shoulders of Giants

On June 14, 2019, my father died. I wrote his obituary. And I wrote the eulogy I read at his service. I stopped writing for “publication” a...